Joomla 1.7 has been released and is packed with lots of new features but it is mainly a security release. This is the first Joomla update since the Joomla Development team started the 6 monthly update cycle in January 2011. This means you can expect Joomla 1.7.5 or Joomla 1.8 in January 2012.
Joomla 1.7 New Features
Personally, the most interesting new features is the upgrade of TinyMCE to version 3.4. Maybe this will reduce the number of people installing JCE. Having said that, TinyMCE has some catching up to do before it has the wealth of features offered by JCE.
Here is the full list of Joomla 1.7 new features:
- Add support to log deprecated API (Andrew Eddie)
- JToolBarHelper functions for Save and Create New and Save as Copy (Joseph LeBlanc)
- Mod_custom with backgroundimages (Angie Radtke)
- Allow preselection of categories in com_content (Peter Kneisel)
- Add JFormRuleOptions rule to validate type=”list” parameters (Mark Dexter)
- Make copy/move consistent across components (Michael Babker)
- Update TinyMCE to version 3.4 (Rouven Weßling)
- New parameters are present for the language switcher (Jean-Marie Simonet)
- Translation teams can now include a css file in their admin pack to change the fonts used in back-end (Jean-Marie Simonet)
- Language manager now displays installed language in tabs (Michael Babker)
- Improve the installation (Rouven Weßling)
- Make single contact view ready to use dynamic forms (Elin Waring)
- JToolBar cleanup for Save and Create New and Save as Copy (Joseph LeBlanc)
- Add ability to save a search in a menu item (Elin Waring)
- Mass Mail – exclude disabled user (Rune Sjøen and Bill Richardson)
- Add PHP and HTML modes to CodeMirror (Rouven Weßling)
- JModelList casts $query to string unnecessarily making it impossible to implement Joomfish (Geraint Edwards)
- Add to debug log information component and module start time and memory use when showing (Vladimir Serotyukov and Dennis Hermatski)
- View Access Level not testing in Administrator Models (Amy Stephen)
- Add support for OpenSearch to com_search (Rouven Weßling)
- Automatic DB update (Christophe Demko)
- Add WAI-ARIA and HTML5 support the progressbar.js (Rouven Weßling)
- Make loadmodule plugin more useful (Elin Waring)
- “Select a Menu Item Type” in modal box in menu item edit page (Dennis Hermatski)
- Add to debug log information component and module start time and memory use when showing
- Association between menu items in multilingual settings.
- Add an ordering column to table jos_languages
What do you think – is the 6 month cycle a good thing for Joomla or is it too inflexible?